SPEC Services, Inc. is a premiere engineering firm focused on serving energy, utility and infrastructure clients in the Western United States. SPEC is seeking a self-motivated and energetic applicant to apply for a Civil/Structural Designer position in Southern California.
About the Position
In this position, you will apply your knowledge of the principles of civil & structural design to:
- Support the civil/structural design development and drawing production for permitting/construction of the following:
- Steel structures including: pipe and cable tray supports, canopies, equipment and access platforms, stairs and walkways, industrial buildings, pipe bridges
- Foundations for electrical and mechanical equipment, buildings, tanks, vessels, light poles, pipe and cable tray supports, platforms, etc.
- Grading and drainage design and site development
- Work in a team environment with lead designers, structural engineers and other disciplines (e.g. project management, piping, mechanical, electrical, control systems, etc.) to develop solutions to clients multi-discipline project needs.
The position has a flexible 9/80 work schedule with a hybrid work location, supporting SPEC's Fountain Valley office.
Your core duties and responsibilities may require you to do the following:
- Support Lead Civil/Structural Designers on project design development and drawing production.
- Perform site visits to gather field data and verify existing facilities and project requirements.
- Create clear and concise construction drawings for project elements including ground improvements, grading and drainage, concrete foundations with location plans and structural steel supports and platforms.
- Organize construction documents from beginning to end.
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects with various due dates. Attend coordination and status meetings.
- Perform a thorough quality control review of construction documents.
- Develop and maintain good professional relationships with clients.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Strong proficiency with AutoCAD required.
- Desire and ability to learn new skills and assume greater responsibilities is required.
- Working experience with structural construction is preferred.
- The ability to work within a 3-D CAD environment is required. Proficiency with design software including Civil 3D, Revit, Plant 3D, AVEVA E3D is strongly preferred.
- Experience with Navisworks, Infraworks and MicroStation is preferred.
- Ability to visit local project sites for data gathering and inspections with occasional travel to farther locations is required.
- Valid driver s license and clean driving record is required.
Experience and Education Requirements
- 2+ years designing projects involving steel structures, foundations, grading and drainage.
- Energy infrastructure experience is preferred.
- Engineering consulting experience is preferred.
- Candidates must be familiar with structural design, civil design, and the related codes and regulatory requirements.
- Formal training in civil and structural design is preferred. Trade school or associates degree is preferred, or equivalent experience.