Title - Controls Engineer
Reports to - Electrical Engineering Manager
Date Written/Revised - 07/2022
Direct Reports - N/A
Status - Exempt
Objectives of this Role
- Design, develop and implement equipment control systems and subsystems for multiple simultaneous projects following established design standards and practices. Commission equipment, including final acceptance, prior to shipment. Commission equipment at customer's facility as required. Meet project Quality Plan requirements and project schedules for controls. Provide direction / guidance to Electrical, Assembly and Service personnel as required.
- Deepen the understanding of products, customers, goals, organization, and business strategies, evaluating systems and processes, and identifying improvement needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design electrical controls and schematics in AutoCAD format.
- Develop equipment line layouts (AutoCAD) and work with customers and suppliers to provide the most efficient installation.
- Design equipment control systems using established design standards.
- Expedite panel drawings and commercial parts that are required for machine electrical assembly. Work closely with vendors to ensure timely delivery of all parts.
- Perform all work in a manner that meets project scope, cost, deadlines, and quality standards.
- Provide direction to manufacturing and service as required for execution of designs.
- Attend all department and process driven meetings.
- Contribute as a member of a team of design professionals to achieve project, department, and company goals.
Skills and Qualifications
- AS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience in a design-build manufacturing environment as a controls engineer
- Project management experience preferred.
- Advanced training/education in engineering, leadership and project management preferred.
- Microsoft technology and relevant design and life cycle management software.
Ability to operate computer.
Manual dexterity sufficient for constant use of a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. Speech and hearing sufficient for regular communications. Vision sufficient for use of a computer monitor and transaction documents.
Ability to sit for long periods of time.
Ability to perform climbing, stooping, crouching, walking, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
Executing up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and or 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Close mental and visual requirements needed to perform work dealing primarily with Engineering, management, and manufacturing.
Ability to plan, schedule, train, check and evaluate work.
Ability to troubleshoot (electrical/ programs/machine).
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
All employees are responsible for product quality and are required to understand and follow quality system procedures. All employees have the responsibility, organizational freedom, and authority to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any non-conformities relating to product, process, and quality system.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.