Overview Our Commitment to Equity
The Y actively promotes a culture free from bias and injustice. We are dedicated to removing institutional and systemic barriers that result in oppression and racism. We will be accountable to marginalized communities for creating equitable and sustainable environments where social justice is woven into every facet of our programs, and by caring for our communities in a culturally versatile and respectful manner. Job Summary
Instructs group Dance Fintess classes for YMCA members in the evenings. What you'll get from working at The Y
- Individual membership to the YMCA of Greater Seattle
- Free access to mental health resources
- Rapidly-accruing paid time off (PTO) available immediately upon hire
- Access to an unlimited ORCA Card (staff located at the 909 building)
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is committed to providing a positive atmosphere that prioritizes safety and inclusivity for all employees. The YMCA of Greater Seattle has implemented safety standards and protocols related to preventative health measures based on CDC and local health department guidelines. As of March 12, 2022 COVID Vaccinations Requirements for this role is Highly Recommended.
Certain programs at the Y of Greater Seattle may require proof of vaccination, in compliance with local state and federal guidelines. If applicable will be assigned within onboarding. To see requirements for each program within our association,click here. Responsibilities
- Plans for and instructs wellness/fitness and/or related classes following Association standards and guidelines. Observes and discusses individual progress with participants.
- Develops positive relationships with participants and facilitates relationships among participants and members. Provides motivational support and guidance.
- Increases participant awareness of all healthy lifestyle factors.
- Encourages involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Sets up and takes down class equipment. Reports equipment problems.
- Attends staff meetings and approved trainings as required.
- Ensures safe and effective workouts. Responds to, and reports, accidents and incidents.
- Accurately maintains related records.
- Current state approved first aid certification.
- Current state approved CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification.
- High school education or equivalent preferred. Other applicable education, training, and experience, which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position will be considered.
- Twenty-five hours of practical experience as fitness class instructor, or equivalent (6-week instructor training course-shadowing experience).
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- Ability to set up, move and store class equipment.
- Knowledge of, and previous experience with diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyles Principles, Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise or previous YMCA or outside certification.
- Listen First Level I
- and II training.
- Within 30 days of employment or at first available training.
Within 90 days of employment or at first available training. Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge , abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered. Expected Hours of Work:
Evenings, 5-7pm. You'll be a great fit for the Seattle Y if you
- Thrive on working in a collaborative environment.
- Are very adaptable.
- Have high ownership and strong work ethic.
- Are a great problem solver who can think on your feet.
- Truly enjoy being of service to people.
- Like being part of a team that cares about one another as people and enjoy working together.
- Want to know that the work you do contributes to building a better, stronger community for all.
Building a community where all people, especially the young, are encouraged to develop their fullest potential in spirit, mind, and body. YMCA of Greater Seattle's Core Values
YGS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and equitable work environment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran , or any other status protected by local, state , or federal law. All job offers are contingent on the results of a background check. We participate in the Federal E-Verify system. Job Locations US-WA-Seattle Posted Date 5 days ago (8/1/2022 7:43 PM) ID 26 Type Regular Part-Time # of Openings 1 Location Downtown Seattle YMCA Category Health & Well-being Address 909 4th Avenue Minimum compensation USD $18.22/Hr.
- Passion for Excellence