General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role in Public Policy. Reporting to the Vice President, Government Affairs and Public Policy, the Director/Senior Director, Policy and Executive Branch Engagement will play an integral role in developing, implementing, and executing government affairs strategies, initiatives, and engagement around issues that impact brain health. The successful candidate will elevate the profile of Sage with key federal executive branch/agencies and state public officials/agencies and be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with administration personnel and external organizations to achieve Sages public policy goals. Specifically, this role will lead the strategy and engagement with federal agencies and provide subject matter expertise in support of public official interactions.
A successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills, take initiative and be self-directed, have experience managing multiple issues, and have the ability to handle competing priorities in a high-pressure environment while providing support and guidance to key business leaders. The candidate must have the ability to work in close collaboration with cross-functional partners in State and Federal Government Affairs, Corporate Communications, Patient Advocacy, Legal, Regulatory Affairs, and Market Access and lead strategy and engagement with federal agencies.
This position is field-based with occasional travel to Washington DC and Cambridge, MA. Title commensurate with experience. Roles and Responsibilities
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Develop and execute strategies to shape federal/state policy that deliver on enterprise priorities. This includes developing/executing strategic initiatives and policy positions, drafting written comments, providing analysis of complex health care policies, providing trade association management, and supporting engagement of third-party groups and coalitions.
- Develop both a proactive and reactive policy agenda to create new frameworks to support our current product portfolio as well as pipeline products.
- Assess public policy environment, determine where legislative and regulatory action is advisable and where it is not, and make recommendations on Sage action.
- Demonstrate and maintain strong working relationships with key federal agencies that may develop healthcare policies that could impact Sage.
- Promote a positive presence for Sage Therapeutics among Executive Branch personnel.
- Develop close working relationships with key internal business stakeholders, including Commercial teams to leverage advocacy strategies. Engage with these key business stakeholders and develop keen understanding of commercial strategies to ensure public policy strategies support Sages commercial and regulatory objectives.
- Work collaboratively with others in the External Affairs function to convert company policy positions into timely and effective advocacy strategies.
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. Must have excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, and the ability to identify issues and raise to key stakeholders in order to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs, and recommendations. Basic Qualifications
- BS or BA degree required.
- 8+ years of experience in government, government affairs, public affairs, or policy. Strong preference for experience on Capitol Hill, federal agency, or similar.
- 10+ years of experience in government, government affairs, public affairs, or policy. Strong preference for experience on Capitol Hill, federal agency, or similar.
- Extensive knowledge of the US healthcare system, specifically in the following areas: finance, payment structures, and benefit design.
- Consistent record in identifying policy trends affecting public health.
- Travel in the US up to 20%.
- Previous experience in a pharmaceutical corporation or healthcare trade association preferred. Must have a demonstrated project team orientation and the ability to work cross-functionally.
- Business acumen and professionalism required to gain the respect of broad cross-section of industry, advocates, and policy stakeholders.
- Ability to bring together cross-functional internal stakeholders and advance projects forward to resolution and action.
- Subject matter expertise in general healthcare issues and strong understanding of Medicare and Medicaid programs.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and develop innovative solutions.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution-oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our Core Values: Put People First, Improve Lives, Cultivate Curiosity, Do Right, and Forge New Pathways
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.
Employee Number of Openings:
1 Job ID:
All Sage new hires will be required to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or, if not, that they are legally entitled to an accommodation due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and Sage will consider, among other things, whether the proposed accommodation would create an undue hardship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
EEO is the Law ()
EEO is the Law - Poster Supplement
We value our relationships with professional recruitment firms. To protect the interests of all parties, and given the large volume of inquiries received from third-party placement agencies, we are not able to respond to all agency inquiries. We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of a signed agreement between our company and a placement agency does not create an implied obligation and, if an unsolicited candidate represented by a placement agency is hired, we are not obligated to pay a fee. Only approved recruitment firms will be allowed to provide services to Sage Therapeutics, Inc.
Protected personal characteristics include: age, race, ancestry, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religious creed, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital or civil union status, participation in the uniformed services of the United States, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. To learn more, see Sage's Anti-Harassment and Equal Opportunity Policy