Histotechnologist, Dermatology Laboratory GCMC (Full Time) (Days)Location:
Scranton, PennsylvaniaJob Category:
Diagnostic Services, LabSchedule:
Days Work Type:
Dermatology Laboratory Medicine TeamDate Posted:
Job Summary $12,500 sign on incentive for qualified applicants!
Processes and prepares tissue specimens for examination by Pathologists.
- Processes tissues on processing equipment or by manual methods to ensure proper fixation for examination.
- Identifies and determines proper orientation of tissue specimens and embeds specimens in paraffin to ensure proper alignment for sectioning.
- Performs microtomy at proper micron to render quality sections for diagnoses.
- Produces consistently good quality microscopic slides that can be readily reviewed and interpreted by the Pathologist.
- Performs routine and special staining procedures as required to distinguish cells and organisms for diagnostic examination.
- Maintains equipment, participates in established preventive maintenance program, and alerts Analytical Specialist of any equipment problems.
- Assists in proper handling and storage of supplies, notifies Analytical Specialist when inventory is low.
- Assists with department's Quality Improvement program through active participation in patient specimen identification and quality tracking measures.
- Assists in the evaluation and validation of new instruments and new technologies as needed.
- Participation in completion of assigned initial and subsequent competency assessment examinations required and maintains working knowledge of applicable Laboratory Information System programs and system changes.
- Participates in the training and orientation of new employees.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
This role is full time, 36 hours per week. Anticipated hours for this position are 7a - 330p Mon - Thu; 7a - 11a Friday. Primary location is in Scranton, but will work in Wilkes-Barre once a week and Danville on occasion.
This position offers a competitive compensation package, including medical, dental, vision, retirement match, and generous PTO! Benefits start on day 1!
$12,500 sign on incentive for qualified applicants!
Education Graduate from Specialty Training Program- (Required), Associate's Degree- (Preferred)
Experience Minimum of 1 year-Laboratory (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s) Certified Histotechnician - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Our Purpose & Values OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We know that a diverse workforce with unique experiences and backgrounds makes our team stronger. Our patients, members and community come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it takes a diverse workforce to make better health easier for all. We are proud to be an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.