Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This opportunity is within Audible's Data Engineering group. The Data Engineering group owns technology platforms and datasets that enable systems and people to uncover new insights and fine-tune operations to meet business goals. We need your help designing and building these.
As a Data Engineer, you will...
- Apply broad knowledge of technology options, technology platforms, design techniques and approaches across the Data Engineering ecosystem to build systems that meet business needs.
- Build systems and datasets using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, data storage principles, recent advances in distributed systems, and operational excellence best practices.
- Analyze source systems, define underlying data sources and transformation requirements, design suitable data models and document the design/specifications.
- Demonstrate passion for quality and productivity by use of efficient development techniques, standards and guidelines.
- Effectively communicate with various teams and stakeholders, escalate technical and managerial issues at the right time and resolve conflicts.
- Peer review work. Actively mentor other members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field.
- Proficiency in functional programming languages (e.g. Python) as well as declarative programming languages (e.g. SQL, SPARQL).
- 2+ years of hands on experience in working on data-centric systems using MPP Database technologies and Hadoop, Spark, Kafka or AWS equivalents.
- Understanding of processing and modeling large, complex data sets for Analytical use cases with Database technologies such as AWS Redshift, Teradata or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work independently with little supervision to deliver on time quality products.
- Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision.
- Familiarity with AWS cloud technologies such as Elastic Map Reduce (EMR), Kinesis, Athena.
- Familiarity with BI and Visualization platforms such as MicroStrategy and AWS Quicksight.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word. Audible offers a Hub+Home hybrid workplace model that gives employees flexibility between gathering in a common office space (work from hub) and remote work (work from home). Some teams will work mostly at hub, some mostly at home and others hybrid. For more information, please visit .
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.