Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Senior Android Engineer, it's up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we'll support you with the latest tech, tools and systems that you need to succeed. You'll be essential in ensuring the team can reach their potential; working closely with them, reviewing their work, mentoring, and supporting them to develop. Together, you'll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This opportunity is as a Software Development Engineer within the Audible Mobile App group. The team is building customer facing UI for Audible application. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved project.
It takes a curated team to pack the entire Audible library into the palm of your hand, but we make it happen seamlessly, for millions of people across the world. Whether they're on the road, on the treadmill or just getting coffee, it's our responsibility to push and stretch the Audible app in new, meaningful directions to simplify the end-to-end experience for our listeners across all devices.
You're a problem solver and life is your hackathon. A fast-paced environment fuels your creativity - not to mention your team who inspire you. You're always happy to press pause, take off your headphones and connect with a colleague. Through plenty of practice you've mastered how to translate even the most complex ideas in a simple and digestible way. While you've dabbled in a few programming languages, your heart is always with Java. But you're adaptable, enterprising, and ready to take ownership of your next project.
As a Senior Android Engineer, you will...
- Design, develop, and test software components and applications for one of the largest creator and provider of audiobooks in the world.
- Work on an agile engineering team writing maintainable and scalable code for software components and influencing team decisions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers.
- Use technology to solve difficult problems. Define a design, turn it into high quality code, and deliver it on schedule. Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn't) appropriate to use them.
- Independently clarify technical requirements, assessing development estimates and apply a broad range of design approaches.
- Review code of other team members and provide constructive direction.
- Drive continuous improvement of software quality, customer experience, and maintainability of products/features.
- Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- Programming experience with one or more modern language (e.g., Java, C++, C#), including object-oriented design.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Experience writing clear, maintainable and extensible code.
- 5+ years of experience in designing and developing Android Applications using Kotlin, Java, the Android SDK, and common Android tools and platforms like Compose, Jetpack Navigation. The Android codebase at Audible is primarily Kotlin-based.
- Strong fundamental software engineering skills: data structures and algorithms. Understanding how your code performs and how that could impact the customer experience is critical to success as a senior developer working on a mobile app
- Experience with object-oriented development, multithreading, and data structures.
- Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
- Great communication skills-ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience. Can provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word. Audible offers a Hub+Home hybrid workplace model that gives employees flexibility between gathering in a common office space (work from hub) and remote work (work from home). Some teams will work mostly at hub, some mostly at home and others hybrid. For more information, please visit .
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.