Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it's up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we'll support you with the latest tech, tools, and systems that you need to succeed. We pride ourselves on our ability to imagine and invent solutions to problems of the future and you'll be essential in this forward-thinking approach to development. Together with the team, you'll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
If you're a dedicated problem solver, this is the role for you. Identifying and overcoming challenges is at the heart of everything you do; whether it's looking ahead to our listeners problems, or analyzing every inefficiency, you thrive when you strive for perfection. We look for people who take responsibility, who feel the pride in a job well done and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. With a knowledgeable team around you, and opportunities to challenge yourself, it's a perfect environment to develop and apply your new skills.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
- Develop, and test software components and applications for one of the largest creator and provider of audiobooks in the world.
- Identify and resolve software defects by reviewing code errors, log files, metrics, using debug functions, and other troubleshooting techniques.
- Work on an agile engineering team writing maintainable and scalable code for software components.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers.
- Apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering and analysis to solve problems of moderate scope.
- Continuously improve the testability, operational excellence (OE), and documentation of the software components owned by your team.
- Classify, store, and handle data in accordance with company policies.
- Participate in the interview process and mentor other engineers.
- Programming experience with one or more modern languages (e.g., Java, C++, C#), including object-oriented design.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and problem solving.
- Experience in building scalable software services (e.g., SOA, Micro-services).
- Experience building and delivering software systems to internal or external customers.
- Knowledge of professional software development life cycle best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- Problem solving skills and willingness to accept new challenges, take ownership and be adaptable.
- Basic understanding of security concepts.
- Capable of using technology to solve straightforward problems. Can take a defined design, turn it into high quality code, and deliver it on schedule. Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn't) appropriate to use them.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word. Audible offers a Hub+Home hybrid workplace model that gives employees flexibility between gathering in a common office space (work from hub) and remote work (work from home). Some teams will work mostly at hub, some mostly at home and others hybrid. For more information, please visit .
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.